Virtualized Environments Require Infrastructure Integration
In the data centers that provide the foundation for digital business, VMware virtualization is a key infrastructure building block, enabling the efficient use of servers and the rapid launch of data-driven applications. At the same time, many organizations are relying on hybrid clouds to augment their data centers and back up critical data.
Virtualization and data protection
Despite virtualization’s benefits, getting the most out of a virtualized environment is an ongoing challenge for IT leaders. Many data centers have thousands of virtual machines (VMs) because they are easy to launch. When combined with hybrid clouds, such environments can become very complex and costly to manage. IT leaders must find a way to gain control over myriad VMs, while moving increasing quantities of data across hybrid clouds at a time when IT budgets are under pressure and expert staff is at a premium. In short, IT leaders must do more with less.
Data protection is an essential requirement in a server and in storage infrastructure optimized for VMware. Dell EMC Data Protection solutions are integrated with VMware, enabling IT administrators to manage the entire environment, including thousands of VMs, from a single centralized interface, even across hybrid cloud environments. Streamlining management in this way increases administrator efficiency, helping mitigate tight budgets and data center staffing shortages.
Dell EMC Data Protection Solutions deliver a broad range of benefits:
• Increased efficiency and lower cost.
- -A deduplication rate of 55:1 reduces data size by 97% in some cases.
- -Scale-out architecture eliminates the need to purchase additional appliances.
- -Instant access and restores: Up to 40,000 IOPS for restoring and running VMs.
- -Up to 4x more data in a 2U.
- -Can cost up to 80% less to protect data.
• Cloud-ready appliances that are easy to install through VMware user interfaces (Integrated Data Protection Appliances)
• Data protection for container environments through Kubernetes container orchestration, built for Kubernetes environments in collaboration with Velero.
• Protection for AWS, Microsoft Azure, Google and Alibaba hybrid cloud environments.
• Automation across the entire VMware stack to streamline management.
• Deep integration with VMware on-premises or in the cloud.
Halifax Health, the largest healthcare network serving the Daytona Beach, FL, area faced data increasing 15%-25% per year. In a hurricane-prone area, the healthcare provider depends on Dell EMC technology integrated with VMware to replicate 1,500 VMs and protect patient data. Recovery of virtual infrastructure was reduced from 24 hours to 2 hours.
Nuna Group of Companies performs ice road construction and diamond mining in the Canadian Arctic. Lengthy backups were eroding employees’ productivity. Dell EMC Data Doman Virtual Edition reduced backup data size by over 50% through deduplication and compression. Nuna Group now completes 93% of its backups in under one hour.
Under Armour, a maker of athletic apparel, runs a data center with 1,000 VMs. Relying on Dell EMC data protection, the company is able to replicate data with 97% data reduction through deduplication, assuring that their data is available faster than ever. Going forward, Under Armour will rely on its simplified Dell EMC backup environment as it moves to a hybrid cloud architecture.
Digital businesses rely on data centers running VMware, within hybrid cloud environments. Dell EMC-VMware integration streamlines operations, speeds backup, and lowers costs, freeing up IT leaders to pursue data-driven business initiatives.
For more information, visit www.dellemc.com/VMwareProtection.